1. I had my first taste of street food at 10 months (according to my mom). She gave me some mashed potato from inside her quesadilla. Lu hasn´t tried street food yet, but she loves the tofu that comes with Japanese miso soup.
2. I am ridiculously proud of Lu´s sophisticated palate. She loves Thai, Japanese, Chinese and Italian food, especially all dishes that have pasta.
3. I´m addicted to Iron Chef America, Top Chef Masters and Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares (if we got more cooking shows in Mexico I´d probably be addicted to them all)
3. I love reading about food. Cookbooks are OK but my favorites are restaurant reviews that almost make you taste the food at restaurants at which I´ll probably never eat (unless I win the lottery) My favorite is Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl.
4. I love truffle oil, prawns, crab legs, lobster, mesculum, risotto, goat cheese and Thai and Indian curries but I also love cold, dry mac and chesse, cold, canned Clam Chowder, cold Spaghetti O´s (do you see a theme here?) and I am devoted to French fries with hummus and ketchup.
5. Mexican food is my favorite! Oaxacan tamales, sopes, potato and cheese quesadillas, enfrijoladas, tough nothing beats a good plate of beans and Mexican rice.
6. Lu is one year old and she already eats like a little mexican. She has quesadillas with spicy green salsa for breakfast (yes quesadillas are a breakfast food in Mexico) and has already tried and loved spicy tamarind Pelón candy.
7. I am constantly worrying that I won´t pass on to Lu my questionable love hate relationship with food that started with a diet when I was 11 and got boobs too early.
8. I love to cook eggs! Asparagus and goat cheese, chipotle and manchego cheese, potatoes and spinach with fluffy eggs are the best way to start a Saturday morning. I also love to cook pasta, salads and soups.
9. I don´t bake. I hate how little room for creativity is behind amateur baking. No tasting and adding, just following recipes step by step (I make mean Ghiardelli brownies though, it´s my staple at potlucks)